The two sisters

The oldest, B, and her husband recently made the move out West from the Carolinas. They are getting accustomed to life in the country and becoming a student once again for the mister. The youngest, A, and her husband made a short move within the Carolinas for the mister to once again, become a student.

When we both found ourselves in similar situations - moving and the misters going back to school - but far apart from one another, we thought a blog would be a great way to still do something together and for family and friends to keep up with us. Follow us as we share our love for cooking, the great outdoors, and home.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Pretty Cool Backyard, huh?

Spoken by Britanie while Mom and I accompanied her on a four mile hike through the mountains in "her backyard." I must admit, I do agree.



The first day in Utah, Mom and I were whipped. Whether be from traveling starting at 4:30am, exhaustion from the excitement leading up to seeing Brit and James, or me being a needy pain sometimes, we were not much fun to say the least. Oh and Mom and I were prepared and dressed for a warm 85° and were greeted by a cool 50° and rain. No worries though. We still made a few pitstops on our way to Brit and James' house. We stopped by the outlets, Whole Foods, and a delicious tapas restaurant for lunch. (Even though I'm outlet obsessed, I didn't buy one thing. I had to make this note because I am still shocked at myself.) The restaurant was called Eva and every bite we ate was delicious. One dish I can't go without mentioning because it involved Brussels! They "shredded" Brussels and tossed them with hazelnuts. By shredded, I mean they thinly sliced the Brussels but it reminded me of shredded lettuce so I suppose that is why I used the term. I'm pretty sure they just sautéed the shredded Brussels in a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and hazelnuts. Let me know if any of you try this delicious creation. I'm sure pine nuts would be a great alternative as well.

As I sit here and begin to think about writing about everything else, I get overwhelmed because it would be a really long post so forgive me if I am brief. Also, for some reason it feels like ages ago we were out there and my mind is not cooperating. I sound old.

It was so relaxing to get up in the mornings and go outside without swatting bugs and sweating. In fact, we were in longsleeves and pants some mornings. Ah I wish I were back there. To wake up with no agenda for the day and see the sun coming up over the mountains made me long for a more simple life. (Again, I sound old.)

I can't quite put my finger on it, but areas around Brit's house reminded me of Napa. We headed out one morning for a late breakfast and coffee at the restaurant pictured below. Perhaps it was the rock landscaping or the building, but I was instantly brought back to our trip to California this past May.



We headed over to this cute antique shop to check things out and see the goat soap lady. Okay, so she is not part goat. She makes wonderful goodies from goat's milk and has a kitchen in the antique shop so we stopped by to take a peak. How awesome is it to think that Brit's real life is now nestled in these mountains?!



Speaking of real life, have you seen this video of the little boy leaving the dentist? You probably have because it is old news, but I just love it and find myself thinking of it often lately. With all the changes taking place, I often think to myself "Wait, is this real life?" and instantly repeat that question in my head in the little boy's voice. Sorry for the digression. Back to Utah.

Mom and I were pumped to go on a hike with Brit. Unfortunately James was tied up with work/school. Hiking out west is no joke. While it was tough, it was awesome to enjoy it with Mom and Brit. Pictures of the adventure below. I can't remember if we were almost to the top or just coming down when we ran across some fairly fresh (we believe) bear pooh. (Do you spell it like winnie the pooh with an "h" or no "h"?) I think this discovery startled Mom a little and we were constantly checking in every direction to make sure a momma bear was not in sight.











A little note about the weather. FYI It is not always snowing in Utah. While I may not be well cultured/traveled/experienced (use whatever word works for you because I can make up definitions for each that fit well in this sentence for me), I couldn't really imagine 90° being so warm out west, in the mountains. Well it was and it was hot. However, it was so nice in the evening and morning when it cooled down.

On our trip we spent some time helping Brit and James in the yard which included picking/bagging dried lavender and yarrow. I'll let Brit explain yarrow :) Folks, this is not a simple/quick task. Next time you buy dried herbs, know that the price is perfectly reasonable. I always thought you got such a small amount for the price with dried herbs but now I see why. (Well I'm also cheap a penny pincher so that could be another explanation.) The process of picking off the usable part of the dried herb is time consuming. Sweet Brit didn't even keep any lavender for herself. She gave it all to me and Mom. I've already used some of it to bake lavender tea bread.



Speaking of their yard, boy do they have their work cut out for them. They have an enormous yard for growing all kinds of goodies. It was neat to get to see the things Brit has talked about on here like the cherry tree and grapes. While we didn't work in the edible gardens, we helped with the front yard. I think we made some good progress out there. Let me just say that I wish there was video of me using the hedge trimmers on a ladder because I'm sure it could be on America's Funniest Videos. (Do yall remember that show?)

The three of us girls went to see Eat, Pray, Love together. Way back at Brit and James' wedding, a friend (shout out to Mere) was reading the book and highly recommended it. It quickly became one of our favorites. As always, the movie is never as good as the book, but I must say I didn't fall asleep so it was worth seeing in my opinion.

Due to the length of this post, I'm going to save the "what we cooked" part for another post. Apologies for the abrupt ending.

back in a flash,
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. That was an awesome trip!! Thanks Ashley, can't wait to do it again!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete