The two sisters

The oldest, B, and her husband recently made the move out West from the Carolinas. They are getting accustomed to life in the country and becoming a student once again for the mister. The youngest, A, and her husband made a short move within the Carolinas for the mister to once again, become a student.

When we both found ourselves in similar situations - moving and the misters going back to school - but far apart from one another, we thought a blog would be a great way to still do something together and for family and friends to keep up with us. Follow us as we share our love for cooking, the great outdoors, and home.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A little bit of this and that

This post could probably be 25 (exaggeration) posts on its own. However, we traveled again this weekend and then I was on the road again yesterday for work. I'm exhausted and my house and life need my attention right now so this will just be a quick recap of things I've been wanting to post about.


  • Arts and Crafts: My springy green hydrangeas on the dining room table weren't going to cut it for fall/winter. While at the beach mom and I decided to start an arts and crafts project I saw on YHL a while back. Ever since I saw this YHL post, I had my mind on some of those goodies for the new centerpiece. Mom and I grabbed some (faux) winter squash at WalMart for $1 each and a can of glossy white spray paint. In no time I had an inexpensive "ceramic" fall centerpiece. Ta da



Pretty sweet $6 centerpiece.
(Hickory nuts courtesy of mom and dad's front yard. Plate I had.)


  • Recipe: I never made quiche before but have enjoyed eating it lately. I had eggs on hand that I needed to use and found this recipe (scroll down) to try. Holy yum! I did not use the cayenne pepper. The quiche was delicious but not very filling. You need to fill half your plate with sides. However it received a "4" and I will be making it again. 

  • Current Obsession: While we're on the subject of food, shocker I know, I have to mention my current obsession. (Remember this summer it was feta and cucumber?) Right now, sweet potatoes and apples. Cube a sweet potato and apple. Place cubes on a roasting pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with some paprika and roast at 450 for 20-30 minutes. Oh man, it is so good. It is like eating candy.

  • Tigers: Victory! This past weekend we had our first and only trip to see the Tigers play this year. I think we picked a good game to see.  I had several pounds of peanuts (don't ask) and I decided to try boiled peanuts for the first time to bring to the tailgate. Easiest thing ever! Cover peanuts in water and dump 1 -2 cups of salt in the pot. Boil for 4 hours. Yum. Oh and you need to use "green" peanuts. Little did I know, the peanuts are not actually green, but green refers to freshly picked. You can laugh at me. 

I am so excited about being home for the next week or so and hope to blog a little more often during that time. 

A

No comments:

Post a Comment