The two sisters

The oldest, B, and her husband recently made the move out West from the Carolinas. They are getting accustomed to life in the country and becoming a student once again for the mister. The youngest, A, and her husband made a short move within the Carolinas for the mister to once again, become a student.

When we both found ourselves in similar situations - moving and the misters going back to school - but far apart from one another, we thought a blog would be a great way to still do something together and for family and friends to keep up with us. Follow us as we share our love for cooking, the great outdoors, and home.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cheese Dip

Cheese is probably in my top three favorite foods. When you combine salty chips with it, it may be pushing number one.

We had some friends coming over to watch the game we will not discuss (let's just say, no matter what, even if they don't show up for a game, I will remain a loyal Tiger fan) and I had to throw some munchies together real quick. I remembered picking up two cans of Rotel at the grocery the last time they were on sale for buy one get one free so I thought I could quickly throw together a Rotel cheese dip. I forgot though that the official Rotel cheese dip calls for processed cheese which we just don't keep around. After some research, I found recipes I could combine to make a dip. Super easy and really delicious.

Rotel non-processed Cheese Dip

2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp All purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Cup milk
1 1/4 Cup shredded cheddar (we love the white extra sharp)
1 tsp mustard (used dijon because it is what I had)
salt and pepper to your liking
1 can Rotel (well drained)

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and salt until well combined. Add milk and mix constantly until thickened. I think it took less than 5 minutes to thicken. Add cheddar and mustard stirring until cheese is completely melted. Add Rotel and mix until heated through. At this point you can serve it immediately or transfer to a small crock pot to keep warm. In my opinion, the crock pot is the way to go and serve it with salty chips of your liking, aka Tostitos (stock up when it's buy one get one free).

Add this to your next at home tailgating event.

Since I'm a loyal fan, Go Tigers!
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. I'd just like to let you both know how much I'm enjoying your blog. It's such a great way to know what's happening with you and yours. The recipes are fabulous (and I hope to try some of them in the future), the pictures unbelievably awesome and the writing is AWESOME. Keep up the good work girls!

    ReplyDelete