The two sisters

The oldest, B, and her husband recently made the move out West from the Carolinas. They are getting accustomed to life in the country and becoming a student once again for the mister. The youngest, A, and her husband made a short move within the Carolinas for the mister to once again, become a student.

When we both found ourselves in similar situations - moving and the misters going back to school - but far apart from one another, we thought a blog would be a great way to still do something together and for family and friends to keep up with us. Follow us as we share our love for cooking, the great outdoors, and home.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

(No Title)

Back in elementary/middle school, I believe they taught us a title should be one of the last things you write down. Since I like to follow my own grammar rules and I could not come up with a title because I don't know what all this post will involve, there is simply no title.

Things have been crazy and I'm glad Brit has picked up my slack with the blog, and might I add some pretty cool posts at that. Seriously, salmon spawning? Who gets to say they casually went out to watch the salmon spawning? So awesome.

I'm on a short break from work traveling and thought I would try to catch up a little. I just got back from a week at Disney for a conference and am preparing to head to the upstate, Cleveland and NYC over the next couple of weeks. Yep, that's right, I get to go to NYC for work and I am so excited. Wes and I took our first year anniversary trip to the City and I have had a craving to go back since. Let me know if you have any great suggestions for lunch and dinner spots in the Times Square and Central Park areas.

When I have to head out of town without Wes, I try to make dinners ahead of time for him so he can run in from school (back in the day it would be work), heat something up, and get his nose back in the books (back in the day it would be house projects). A few staples for this occasion are chicken pot pie, baked ziti, and shrimp or chicken pasta. Two of these types of dishes provide enough variety and plenty of food for a week. These dishes are also great to make ahead for busy weeks when you are home. I'll provide the recipes we use in a later post.

A few changes have taken place around here since school got into the full swing of things. I'm learning lots of new things! A few key things I've picked up on are how to

- blow off the drive, walkway and deck. Holy pine trees around this area! We did not have these in the upstate and I will not miss them in the future.

- mow the lawn.

- start the grill without burning someone. The last time I tried to start the grill (back in high school), I forgot to open the lid and unfortunately Mom was the first one to open the lid after it was heated. Piece of advice: open the lid before lighting the grill. If you wait to open the lid after you start the grill, there will be a small burst when you open the lid for the first time. Oh and don't worry, Mom was okay. She did not have to go the ER.

- do dishes, laundry, and clean.

I'm joking about the last one, kind of. I've mentioned before I was/am spoiled rotten growing up and now by my husband. Growing up, I didn't do yard work. The first almost two years of marriage the only yard work I did consisted of a flower here and there, I didn't do the dishes, I occasionally did the laundry and I never cleaned by myself. Yes, I'm lucky and no you can't have him. We knew taking on this new adventure of school that things would change. I must say, I'm loving it! I feel so responsible. (Wes, I still appreciate your help whenever you are able to ;) )

Life is busy, life is good, and I'm so thankful.

Lots of recipes to come.
A

No comments:

Post a Comment